Today I fancied a bit of a sweet treat for lunch so I decided on trying out a Vegan Cinnamon Toast. I was pretty happy with the results, it was filling and sweet and juicy with the caramelised apples. Plus it had the benefit of providing at least 2 of the 5 portions of fruit & veg for the day. So I figured I’d share the recipe with you.
This recipe will easily serve 2 people if you’re really hungry or 4 if you’re less of a greedy gorb! Gorb being a Northern Irish word I have recently learned for glutton, greed or general food hog!
Cinnamon Toast Ingredients
2 ripe bananas
225ml cup non dairy milk
2 large slices of thick bread
2 Apples – cored, peeled & sliced
2tbsp Olive oil
2tbsp Sugar (preferably soft brown sugar)
1tbsp Lemon juice
Half tsp cinnamon
Maple syrup for drizzling
I used Soya milk, but you can use any non dairy milk you like.
When adding in the milk, if the consistency is too thick to soak into the bread, add in a bit more milk until it seems pourable.
I used soft brown sugar, but use the sugar of your choice.
You can add in vanilla or other flavourings if you like.
I used olive oil, substitute for another pourable oil if you want to.
I used a homemade cinnamon bread, you can use any type of bread.
- Mix together the oil, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Place the apples in the bowl and make sure they are all well coated with the dressing.
- Heat a non stick pan or griddle.
- Lightly brush the pan with olive oil.
- Cook the apples until lightly browned & soft and tender, but not mushy.
- Peel the bananas and place in a processor or mash them by hand.
- Add the milk and cinnamon plus any other flavourings you have chosen.
- Blend or whisk until smooth and mixed evenly.
- Pour this mixture into a shallow bowl for dipping the bread.
- Dip the bread into the banana mixture until well soaked in, repeat until all slices are soaked.
- Warm the griddle or pan and brush with oil.
- Place the soaked bread into the pan and cook until it has taken on a nice golden colour.
Finally assemble the plate with the apples in a lovely juicy pile on top of the toast and drizzle with maple syrup. Yum!
Let me know how if you enjoyed it too….